Coconut milk has to be my fave out of all the non-dairy milks, something about it just gets me all warm and fuzzy . It could be it reminds me of being on vacation down south and who doesn’t love to be whisked back to the beach, the breeze, the pina coladas….. sigh…can you tell it’s -10 here today.
It wasn’t until recently I tried making my own. I put on some Bob Marley… fired up the Vitamix and by the time Bob had finished telling me “don’t worry about a thing” I was done! Super quick and it tastes amazing. All while the lil gingers ate breakfast and jammed with me to Mr. Marley. Easy peasy. A bonus by the way is the kiddies love it- little do they know its great for them too! Packed with an array of vitamins, it is a fantastic start to the day, especially in smoothies and cereal. I love adding a table spoon of chia for added calcium and a bit of maple syrup and tropical fruit… it’s cocoNUTS!
So why replace cows milk with coconut? Unlike cows milk which can be extremely hard for some people to digest, Coconut milk has high traces of good cholesterol that is easier for the body to metabolize. The reason I like to add coconut milk to my morning is it contains Manganese, it helps metabolize glucose (which regulates blood sugar) and that keeps my mood level and happy. Are you sold yet? Check out my recipe below…
Super easy, breezy //diy coco milk//
- 2 cups of organic, coconut strips unsweetened (I like Prana brand) you can use shredded coconut as well.
- 4 cups of filtered water (or boiled).
How to get it going…
- Soak the coconut in filtered water for at least one hour.
- In your blender, combine the coconut and filtered (boiled) water.
- Blend it up baby! 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through sieve or nut milk bag to separate liquid from the coconut bits.
- Pour it into a jar, screw on the top and put it in the fridge.
- Stick it in a jar and screw the lid on tight. The coconut milk lasts for about 4-5 days if kept nice and cold and if you don’t drink it too fast!