Sometimes weeks are cray cray and this week was no exception. It seemed to fly by.
We’ve decided to do a mini detox going into the spring season, and are going ten days gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, no red meat, junk food, pop, caffeine, and no alcohol. Yikes writing it down makes it sound scary. We are into our second day and so far so good!
I always like to do some kind of “detox” going into spring, its kinda like ‘spring cleaning’ for your insides. This time my husbands joining me which is way more exciting. For me it’s not always easy doing a detox when everyone else around you isn’t. Especially when I’m the food maker in this house.
I decided to follow a plan from Joyous Health, I did some research and I liked that this plan wasn’t about depriving yourself. It has a breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks none of this cabbage soup for every meal or cutting out a major food group (carbs). You can learn more about the plan here. The detox has different plans for different food choices as well (vegan, vegetarian, grain-free, omnivore ) We are doing the 10 day grain-free meal plan.
Most of the things that we are suppose to give up for the ten days are not a problem for me, like pop, red meat, alcohol, junk food. But you have probably figured out by now that I have quite the sweet tooth… so the hardest part for me is the sweet cravings. So I took out the detailed meal plan and started prepping the most important part, the snacks/desserts!
The one that stood out to me was the Lemon Drop Cookie Bites, they looked delicious. I made a few little adjustments and result was really good and of course kid friendly!
If you are looking for a few ways to spring clean your insides here are my TOP 5 things to try: (and they are easy!)
- Start your day with lemon water it helps to flush the body and improves digestion. It also contains vitamin C which is needed for collagen production for amazingly smooth, and vibrant skin. If you can’t tolerate lemons then use a good quality apple cider vinegar start with a small splash. It’s has an intense flavour.
- Make REAL choices. An orange is always better than orange juice. Homemade trail mix will always win over a sugary granola bar. It’s not easy making healthier choices so do your best to make small changes.
- Replace an afternoon or morning snack with a green smoothie. Smoothies are packed with nutrients and they taste delicious. They have, fibre, protein and essential vitamins needed to lead a healthy lifestyle. Plus we could all use more greens in our diets try this recipe for breakfast or afternoon snack.
- Make one (or more) days meatless. Why? Going meatless adds to your consumption of plant-based sources of protein, like beans. Consuming beans results in a higher intake of fiber, protein, folate, zinc, iron, and magnesium.
- Deep breathing. The more you breathe the more energy you will have. Taking deeper breaths will bring in more oxygen in to the body and improve overall energy levels. Easy Peasy!
Listening to: OutKast – so fresh, so clean
//Lemon Meringue Coconut Bites//
Approximately: 12 bites
Time to Prepare: 20min
1 cup of cashews (soaked for at least one hour)
1 1/2 Cups of medjool dates
1 TBSP Hemp Hearts
1 TSP Vanilla
The juice of one organic lemon
The zest of one lemon
1/3 cup of unsweetened coconut shredded
+ shredded coconut for rolling
- How to get it going:
- Get your food processor out and add the cashews.
- Now get the dates, hemp hearts, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and coconut and add them to the cashews.
- Pulse until the dates are chopped and the mixture looks combined.
- Use this time to dance to your disco music.
- This is the fun part, shape the mixture into balls and roll them in the shredded coconut!